Monday, May 2, 2016

Rügen Day 3: Sassnitz, Jasmund and chalk cliffs


The next day was supposed to be the prettiest of all journey. It sure was charming but if the prettiest? Jasmund National Park is the smallest national park in Germany and is well known for its Kreidekusten - chalk cliffs that go as far as 10 km outside Sassnitz. So of course, power of nature is always interesting to me. However, in my current state I wouldn't be able to walk along the cliffs so we chose to have a ship cruise instead. But first, we headed to the port that was like 200m away from our place.



Being on a ship instead of walking down the cliffs had both advantages and disadvantages. With a baby (or two for a fact as our friends were travelling with a 10-month old) it was sure easier. Also, we could see the cliffs from a perspective of the sea which was something different. However, I felt like I was not close enough. I think I would prefer a stroll but that was out of question for me. What a pity.






The ship went as far as the Königsstuhl (King's Chair) cliff which seems to be the most known (I don't know why, it's not prettier than the others). It's possible to get on a top of it from the ground but we didn't do it as that also required some amount of walking. But we had a good view from the sea.




Our next attraction was more of a sight for the guys - we visited HMS Otus - submarine that now serves as a museum. Boy it was tight in there!



Afterwards we continued our walk up the panoramic bridge that showed us the whole port area. Sassnitz itself was nothing special (or at least we didn't see anything special where we walked), however I really liked the little stone beach that we visited at the end of the day.






No comments:

Post a Comment